Enhance your onstage performance skills both as an individual and as a member of an ensemble as part of the vocal music specialty. As a participant, you will have the opportunity have the opportunity to work on rhythmic skills, pitch, and harmonization. Together with the artist-in-residence and other participants, you will explore the crafting of performance techniques, culminating in recording and showcasing a final piece for the other specialty groups and your peers in the JCC Maccabi Games.
2013 Artist in Residence
Beth Schafer has spent her career redefining Jewish music by combining masterful songwriting with sensitivity with liturgy and a unique insight into text. She specializes in music for Torah-minded adults looking for an extension to their Jewish lives through music. Beth won the 2006 American Idol Underground Faith-Based Competition and has used that win to create new music for interfaith communities. She has been featured in many national conferences and festivals and has played at center court for the Orlando Magic as well as for President Obama during his historic 2008 campaign. Schafer has degrees in music theory and composition from the University of Miami School of Music and is a trained and much sought after guitarist in styles ranging from classical to blues, folk to jazz. In 2010, Beth founded Positive Jewish Living. As chief conceptualizer, she takes her writing to a broader level, offering new perspective, new music and a new Jewish experience in both worship and concert. Beth has been the spiritual leader of Temple Shir Shalom in Central Florida for 10 years, has been married for 19, and has two daughters. She has released seven CDs of original music and is the author of PJL’s Seven Sparks, Tools for Jewish Wellness.
Audition Requirements – Vocal Music 2013
What are we looking for?
- A passion and enjoyment for approaching and performing music
- A curiosity about various styles and a desire to experience new music
- Risk-takers who are ready to work on vocal projection and performance skills
- People who enjoy being part of a team
- Experience in at least two of the following: Solo performance; Ensemble or choir performance; Onstage experience…singing, dancing, or acting
- Have the ability to hold pitch while singing harmony with others
- Be able to follow a basic chart, or to read music
In addition to answering the questions below, you must submit a video sample of your work. Please record a video of yourself singing a song of your choice a cappella or with accompaniment, either from a pianist or a karaoke tape or CD.
Please answer the following questions in the text boxes provided on the application.
- Tell us briefly about your experiences in music at school, home, and in workshops/classes.
- How do you wish to further your work/skills in music while at ArtsFest?
- Why do you want to participate in JCC Maccabi ArtsFest?
- Tell us about the piece you chose and why you chose it.
- Anything else you would like us to know about you and your music skills?
- Please provide the link to your video audition.
* For basic instructions to upload a video to YouTube, please click here
Arrival and opening ceremonies
Morning: Warm-up, Vocal exercises, Identify tone and range
Afternoon: Peer auditions and reviews, Song selection and arrangement, Discussion of harmonies
Morning: Rehearse selected songs, Songwriting workshop
Afternoon: JCC Cares, Recording session
Morning: Intensive music classes, Vocal workshop, Rehearsal of material for grand finale performance
Afternoon: First run through onstage
Morning: Run through with other specialties, Closing discussion
Afternoon: ArtsFest finale
Evening: Closing party
Sample Schedules are from past ArtsFests.