Be part of the hottest vocal ensemble around! Vocal Music/Glee is an opportunity to hone your pitch, harmonization and vocalization as well as performance techniques. Led by professional artists, you will explore your vocal instrument, and enhance your onstage skills both as an individual and as a member of the ArtsFest 2015 ensemble. Under the guidance of your Artist in Residence, you will be challenged to learn a variety of songs for the ArtsFest Showcase for your peers from JCC Maccabi Games and ArtsFest—the grand finale of JCC Maccabi.
Audition Requirements – Vocal Music/Glee 2016
What are we looking for?
- A passion and enjoyment for approaching and performing music
- A curiosity about various styles and a desire to experience new music
- Risk-takers who are ready to work on vocal projection and performance skills
- People who enjoy being part of a team
- Experience in at least two of the following: Solo performance; Ensemble or choir performance; Onstage experience…singing, dancing, or acting
- Have the ability to hold pitch while singing harmony with others
- Be able to follow a basic chart, or to read music
In addition to answering the questions below, you must submit a video sample of your work. Please record a video of yourself singing a song of your choice a cappella or with accompaniment, either from a pianist or a karaoke tape or CD.
Please answer the following questions in the text boxes provided on the application.
- Tell us briefly about your experiences in music at school, home, and in workshops/classes.
- How do you wish to further your work/skills in music while at ArtsFest?
- Why do you want to participate in JCC Maccabi ArtsFest?
- Tell us about the piece you chose and why you chose it.
- Anything else you would like us to know about you and your music skills?
- Please provide the link to your video audition.
* For basic instructions to upload a video to YouTube, please click here
2016 Artist in Residence
Beth Styles is a versatile producer/composer/arranger/vocalist/performer whose work has become well known for creating community projects that bring people together in the name of love and unity. Since founding the New World Chorus in 2011, Beth has collaborated with diverse houses of worship, clergy and leadership of many spiritual paths to produce compelling annual multi-faith events including the Thanksgiving service “A Time to be Grateful,” and “Season of Miracles,” a joyful celebration of Spring. Beth is also the creator of “The Shabbat Experience”—A journey of peace, music and meditation and the “Living Voice Project”, which sources inspiring programs for people living with a form of dementia such as Alzheimer’s through the power of music.
As a composer, Beth has written an extensive catalogue of original music ranging from Contemporary Spiritual, Jewish Liturgical, Gospel, Jazz, R & B, Theater, Folk and Funk to Film Scoring and Children’s Music. She has also worked with clients including Diana Ross and Shlomo Carlebach z”l, as well as a myriad of cantors and talented local artists. She has performed on grand stages including Radio City Music Hall as well as venues across CT and NY. Beth’s multi-media production studio is located in Stamford, CT and is the source of a wide range of original work, including music and video for corporate commercials, TV, film, musical theater and projects for children with special needs.
Beth grew up in a modern orthodox Jewish family. She studied in Yeshiva and lived in Israel for several years. With passionate spiritual roots as well as a long time education in transformational studies, Beth is devoted to bringing the NWC vision to fruition “One World, One Voice, United in Love”.