Be part of the hottest vocal ensemble around! Vocal Music/Glee is an opportunity to hone your pitch, harmonization and vocalization as well as performance techniques. Led by professional artists, you will explore your vocal instrument, and enhance your onstage skills both as an individual and as a member of the ArtsFest 2014 ensemble. Under the guidance of your Artist in Residence, you will be challenged to learn a variety of songs for the ArtsFest Showcase for your peers from JCC Maccabi Games and ArtsFest—the grand finale of JCC Maccabi.
2014 Artist in Residence
Beth Schafer has spent her career redefining Jewish music by combining masterful songwriting with sensitivity to liturgy and a unique insight into text. She specializes in music for Torah-minded adults looking for an extension to their Jewish lives through music. Beth won the 2006 American Idol Underground Faith-Based Competition and has used that win to create new music for interfaith communities. She has been featured in many national conferences and festivals and has played at center court for the Orlando Magic as well as for President Obama during his historic 2008 campaign.
Beth has degrees in music theory and composition from the University of Miami School of Music and is a trained and much sought after guitarist in styles ranging from classical to blues, folk to jazz. In 2010, Beth founded Positive Jewish Living. As chief conceptualizer, she takes her writing to a broader level, offering new perspective, new music and a new Jewish experience in both worship and concert.
Beth has been the spiritual leader of Temple Shir Shalom in Central Florida for 10 years, has been married for 19, and has two daughters. She has released seven CDs of original music and is the author of PJL’s Seven Sparks, Tools for Jewish Wellness. Beth has been an Artist in Residence at six JCC Maccabi ArtsFests.
Audition Requirements – Vocal Music/Glee 2014
What are we looking for?
- A passion and enjoyment for approaching and performing music
- A curiosity about various styles and a desire to experience new music
- Risk-takers who are ready to work on vocal projection and performance skills
- People who enjoy being part of a team
- Experience in at least two of the following: Solo performance; Ensemble or choir performance; Onstage experience…singing, dancing, or acting
- Have the ability to hold pitch while singing harmony with others
- Be able to follow a basic chart, or to read music
In addition to answering the questions below, you must submit a video sample of your work. Please record a video of yourself singing a song of your choice a cappella or with accompaniment, either from a pianist or a karaoke tape or CD.
Please answer the following questions in the text boxes provided on the application.
- Tell us briefly about your experiences in music at school, home, and in workshops/classes.
- How do you wish to further your work/skills in music while at ArtsFest?
- Why do you want to participate in JCC Maccabi ArtsFest?
- Tell us about the piece you chose and why you chose it.
- Anything else you would like us to know about you and your music skills?
- Please provide the link to your video audition.
* For basic instructions to upload a video to YouTube, please click here