Sharpen your technique while using a variety of art materials to design a series of projects for your portfolio as part of the visual arts specialty. In collaboration with the other participants and your artist-in-residence, you will create a piece of public art that will be shaped by your skills and interests and will enliven an exterior or interior space. At the end of the program, this original piece will be prominently displayed and showcased for the other specialty groups and your peers in the JCC Maccabi Games.
2013 Artist in Residence
California artist Lynne Kaplan was born in South Africa. After graduating from the University of Witwatersrand with a degree in fine art, Lynne went on to the Johannesburg School of Arts, where she specialized in interior and industrial design. A career in interior design and subsequent years in the fashion industry have cultivated Lynne’s fascination with color and texture. Her experimental approach with a variety of mixed media and artistic techniques has led to a number of exhibitions. Lynne’s passion for art has, in particular, blossomed through teaching. Since her early experiences in South Africa, she been instructing both adults and children in acrylic & oil, graphic design, mixed media, pottery and sculpture. Currently, Lynne is teaching mixed media and sculpture at the Merage Jewish Community Center of Orange County. She has two sons and currently resides in Irvine, California with her husband.
Audition Requirements – Visual Arts 2013
What are we looking for?
- Strong interest in visual arts with a desire and a passion to create
- Experience or confidence in drawing, painting, photography or other visual medium
- Have the ability to take work from conception to completion
- Be open to new experiences, such as taking your favorite form of art and learning a new concept to incorporate in a new and exciting masterpiece
- Appreciation for collaborative efforts in art
In addition to answering the questions below, you must submit samples of your work. Please record a video of yourself presenting two pieces from your portfolio and casually discussing each one, including an explanation of why the certain medium was used and if there was a specific thought or inspiration that motivated the work.
Please answer the following questions in the text boxes provided on the application.
- Tell us briefly your experiences in visual arts at school, home, and in workshops/classes.
- How do you wish to further your work/skills in visual arts while at ArtsFest?
- Why do you want to participate in JCC Maccabi ArtsFest?
- Anything else you would like us to know about you and your visual arts skills?
- Please provide the link to your video audition.
* For basic instructions to upload a video to YouTube, please click here
The program will culminate in the creation and sharing of a new work that will be part of the week’s final presentation and will be prominently displayed.
Arrival and opening ceremonies
Morning: Icebreaker and stencil activity, Discussion of theme, Sketching class, Break into groups
Afternoon: Field trips by group, Stop at sites to take pictures and make quick sketches, Presentation of images by group
Morning: Stencil making class, Mural painting
Afternoon: JCC Cares, Mural painting, Intensive art classes
Morning: Intensive art classes, Mural touch ups and group photo, Rehearsal of presentation for grand finale performance
Afternoon: First run through on stage
Morning: Run through with other specialties, Closing discussion
Afternoon: ArtsFest finale
Evening: Closing party
Sample Schedules are from past ArtsFests.