Learn to express your inner voice with professional artists who will guide your creation of a series of projects for your personal portfolio. Collaborate and explore new mediums with your fellow artists using a variety of art materials to create original artworks that will be prominently displayed throughout the week and in a final exhibit for the ArtsFest Showcase for your peers from JCC Maccabi Games and ArtsFest—the grand finale of JCC Maccabi.
2014 Artist in Residence
Natalie Estep is a Fine Artist from Canton, Michigan. She earned an Associate’s Degree from Schoolcraft College in the Graphic Design program, but soon discovered her true passion was Fine Art. Natalie graduated from the College for Creative Studies in Detroit, earning a Bachelor’s of Fine Arts in 2010 with a focus on sculpture and painting.
Natalie has worked in many artistic fields including film, community restoration, museum design and installation, theatre and scenic design. Her artwork has been featured in many galleries and publications, both locally and internationally. Her current visual art work depicts the colorful complexity of life through self portraits, creating a connection with the viewer through emotional vulnerability and vivid color.
Natalie works at the JCC in West Bloomfield as the Scenic Artist developing designs with the Berman Crew for The Berman Center for the Performing Arts, as well as curating exhibits for the Janice Charach Gallery. She has worked with students of all ages, including with peer-assisted learning at Schoolcraft College—teaching the business side of the art world; she has worked with the Special Olympics for over 15 years; has taught visual arts classes at the JCC for students ages 2–10; and, enjoys helping young artists find their “niche”.
Audition Requirements – Visual Arts 2014
What are we looking for?
- Strong interest in visual arts with a desire and a passion to create
- Experience or confidence in drawing, painting, photography or other visual medium
- Have the ability to take work from conception to completion
- Be open to new experiences, such as taking your favorite form of art and learning a new concept to incorporate in a new and exciting masterpiece
- Appreciation for collaborative efforts in art
In addition to answering the questions below, you must submit samples of your work. Please record a video of yourself presenting two pieces from your portfolio and casually discussing each one, including an explanation of why the certain medium was used and if there was a specific thought or inspiration that motivated the work.
Please answer the following questions in the text boxes provided on the application.
- Tell us briefly your experiences in visual arts at school, home, and in workshops/classes.
- How do you wish to further your work/skills in visual arts while at ArtsFest?
- Why do you want to participate in JCC Maccabi ArtsFest?
- Anything else you would like us to know about you and your visual arts skills?
- Please provide the link to your video audition.
* For basic instructions to upload a video to YouTube, please click here
The program will culminate in the creation and sharing of a new work that will be part of the week’s final presentation and will be prominently displayed.