Working with professionals with Broadway experience, you will be challenged to master a variety of the best musical theatre pieces ever created. Working with the Musical Theater Artist in Residence, you will build an ensemble over the course of the week, as you develop your stage vocal technique, dance and movement skills as well as song interpretation. These choreographed musical numbers will then be performed for your peers at the ArtsFest Showcase—the grand finale of JCC Maccabi ArtsFest.
Your 2014 Artist in Residence
Eric Gutman is a Detroit area, Michigan-born actor and musician. Eric currently lives in Huntington Woods, Michigan with his family. His credits include Tipping Point Theatre in Northville, Meadowbrook Theatre in Rochester and the Gem/Century Theatres in Detroit – where he has performed in countless shows including the Michigan premier of the Pulitzer Prize winning musical, Next to Normal. Other favorite credits have included Ordinary Days, Xanadu, Forever Plaid, I Love You, You’re Perfect…, Assassins and Hedwig and the Angry Inch.
Before his move back home, Eric appeared in the Tony and Grammy Award-winning sensation Jersey Boys. In his almost three year run with this extraordinary show, Eric performed over 1,100 shows in six different roles (including three of the Four Seasons) as well as being one of the few actors to play live instruments on stage. Eric has also been a company member for over thirteen years with the Off-Broadway and touring companies of Forbidden Broadway and Forbidden Hollywood where he has played in over 100 different theatres across the country, as well as being a featured performer with the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra and the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra.
Eric holds a BFA in Music Theatre Performance from Western Michigan University. He is a proud member of Actor’s Equity Association since 1999 and The American Federation of Musicians.
Audtion Requirements – Musical Theater 2014
What are we looking for?
- A strong desire and passion to focus on growth and improvement of acting and singing skills
- Passion for theater, and musical theater in particular
- The ability to follow simple choreography, some proficiency in singing
- A willingness to take positive risks onstage and be comfortable in front of an audience
- An ability to be a trusted member of a company or a team
- Participation in school/community/professional theater programs is desirable
In addition to answering the questions below, you must also submit a video sample of your work. Please record a 2-3 minute video of yourself performing a dramatic monologue and a song.
Please answer the following questions in the text boxes provided on the application.
- Tell us briefly your experiences in musical theater at school, home, and in workshops/classes.
- How do you wish to further your work/skills in music while at ArtsFest?
- Why do you want to participate in JCC Maccabi ArtsFest?
- Tell us about the piece you chose and why you chose it.
- Anything else you would like us to know about you and your musical theater skills?
- Please provide the link to your video audition.
* For basic instructions to upload a video to YouTube, please click here