Working with professionals with Broadway experience, you will be challenged to master a variety of the best musical theatre pieces ever created. Working with the Musical Theater Artist in Residence, you will build an ensemble over the course of the week, as you develop your stage vocal technique, dance and movement skills as well as song interpretation. These choreographed musical numbers will then be performed for your peers at the ArtsFest Showcase—the grand finale of JCC Maccabi ArtsFest.
Audition Requirements – Musical Theater 2016
What are we looking for?
- A strong desire and passion to focus on growth and improvement of acting and singing skills
- Passion for theater, and musical theater in particular
- The ability to follow simple choreography, some proficiency in singing
- A willingness to take positive risks onstage and be comfortable in front of an audience
- An ability to be a trusted member of a company or a team
- Participation in school/community/professional theater programs is desirable
In addition to answering the questions below, you must also submit a video sample of your work. Please record a 2-3 minute video of yourself performing a dramatic monologue and a song.
Please answer the following questions in the text boxes provided on the application.
- Tell us briefly your experiences in musical theater at school, home, and in workshops/classes.
- How do you wish to further your work/skills in music while at ArtsFest?
- Why do you want to participate in JCC Maccabi ArtsFest?
- Tell us about the piece you chose and why you chose it.
- Anything else you would like us to know about you and your musical theater skills?
- Please provide the link to your video audition.
* For basic instructions to upload a video to YouTube, please click here
2016 Artist in Residence
Eric currently lives in Huntington Woods, Michigan with his wife and two daughters. He is a regular at such theatres as Tipping Point Theatre in Northville, Meadowbrook Theatre in Rochester and the Gem/Century Theatres in Detroit—where he has performed in countless shows including the Michigan premier of the Pulitzer Prize winning musical, Next to Normal.
Before his move back home, his claim to fame was performing for almost three years in the Tony and Grammy Award-winning sensation Jersey Boys. In his run with this extraordinary show, Eric performed over 1,000 shows in six different roles (including three of the Four Seasons) and was one of the few actors to play live instruments on stage. Eric has also been a company member for over ten years with the Off-Broadway and touring companies of Forbidden Broadway and Forbidden Hollywood where he has played in over 100 different theatres across the country as well as a featured performer with the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra and the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra.
Eric made his feature film debut in the highly acclaimed motion picture Real Steel opposite Hugh Jackman. Other on-camera credits include the films North of South, West of East and The Giant Mechanical Man; and Musical Guest spots for The Tonight Show With Jay Leno (NBC). Other broadcast appearances include regional commercials, singing the National Anthem for the Chicago White Sox, Chicago Bears, as well as the last MLB All-Star Game held at the old Yankee Stadium.
Currently, Eric is busy promoting and performing in his one-man biopic musical aptly titled, “Eric Gutman: From Broadway to Obscurity”, which is touring to many theaters across the country.