Get in the groove. Explore world music and a multitude of jazz music genres from across the globe as part of the jazz ensemble/world music specialty. With an emphasis on ensemble-building, we will work to establish a strong sense of rhythm as we bridge cultures and musical traditions in a supportive and growth-oriented environment.
2013 Artist in Residence
Mattan Klein was born and raised in Jerusalem and won first prize at the Pizmon Tichon composition competition when he was 16 by presenting music set to lyrics by Israeli poet Nathan Alterman. After completing his military service, Mattan performed on national TV, radio, and major festivals. He completed his music studies at the Berklee College of Music in Boston and soon blended into the Boston jazz scene. He gained a reputation as an innovative improviser as well as a proficient studio musician, and was often called upon to play with faculty members and visiting artists including Giovanni Hidalgo and Billy Childs. Now, Mattan performs extensively on stages across North America, and is often touring the world as a leader and as a sideman. Past performances include Carnegie Hall, the Kennedy Center for Performing Arts in Washington DC, the 92nd Street Y in New York, Regatta-Bar in Boston, and the Skirball Cultural Center in Los Angeles. He is one of today’s hottest jazz/world music flutists, blending a clear and fluent sound with some of New York’s brightest contemporary new voices. Mattan has been an artist in residence at seven JCC Maccabi ArtsFests.
Audition Requirements -Jazz Ensemble/World Music 2013
What are we looking for?
- Basic instrumental proficiency on any of the following instruments: piano, bass, drums, guitar, percussion, saxophone, clarinet, trumpet, trombone, flute, harmonica, violin, or cello
- Good sense of rhythm, and sight reading skills
- Knowledge of and ability to play all major scales
- Basic knowledge of reading music, chord changes, and improvisation is helpful
- An appreciation for various musical styles and genres and a willingness to try new musical experiences
In addition to answering the questions below, you must also submit a video sample of your work. Please prepare a piece of your choice and record a video of yourself demonstrating your proficiency by playing any of the above-mentioned instruments. If you are comfortable with improvisation, please feel free to improvise over the melody for a short section of your piece.
Please answer the following questions in the text boxes provided on the application.
- Tell us briefly about your experiences in acting/improv at school, home, or in workshops/classes.
- How do you wish to further your work/skills in music while at ArtsFest?
- Why do you want to participate in JCC Maccabi ArtsFest?
- Tell us about the piece you chose and why you chose it.
- Anything else you would like us to know about you and your acting skills?
- Please provide the link to your video audition.
* For basic instructions to upload a video to YouTube, please click here