Students will immerse themselves in the excitement and inspiration of developing and rehearsing an expressive performance piece, working collaboratively with the artist-in-residence and other dance specialty participants. Explore dance techniques and develop performance skills such as focus, intention, dramatic and technical range, and expansion of movement vocabulary as part of the dance specialty. As the culmination of our work, students will perform their piece for the other specialty groups and their peers from the JCC Maccabi Games.
2013 Artist in Residence
A native of Johannesburg, South Africa, Lauren Shavitz has studied jazz and tap all her life and been dancing professionally and teaching for 29 years. She has experience with jazz, lyrical, contemporary, musical theater, tap, and creative dance for all levels and ages. Lauren has danced with Performing Arts Modern Dance Theater Company in Johannesburg as well as working as a resident dancer for the South African Broadcasting Corporation. She was also a member of Jazz Dance Theater South in Atlanta, Georgia, and Jazz Spectrum in Orange County, California. Lauren has also taught in Atlanta and extensively in Orange County for the last 23 years at local studios as well as choreographing for several high schools. She also judges high school dance competitions for CADTD (California Association of Dance/Drill Team Directors) and USA (United Spirit Association).
Audition Requirements – Dance 2013
What are we looking for?
- A passion for dance and the enthusiasm to create and perform
- Desire to stretch yourself, take risks and work individually and collectively with one another to create and perform dance that is of and from you
- Familiarity with different dance forms and the eagerness to expand knowledge and skills
- An intermediate level in modern, jazz, ballet, or other style
In addition to answering the questions below, you must also submit a video sample of your work. Please record a video of yourself performing a solo set to music or in silence, maximum of 2 minutes, which can be original or other choreography, based on a theme or concept that demonstrates passion, technical ability, and creative spirit.
Once you have recorded the video, please upload it to a site such as YouTube or Vimeo and copy and paste the link below. For basic instructions to upload a video to YouTube, please click here: http://www.wikihow.com/Upload-a-Video-to-YouTube
Please answer the following questions in the text boxes provided on the application.
- Tell us briefly about your experiences in acting/improv at school, home, or in workshops/classes.
- What are your greatest strengths as a dancer and in what areas would you like to grow while at ArtsFest?
- Why do you want to participate in JCC Maccabi ArtsFest?
- Tell us about the piece you chose and why you chose it.
- Anything else you would like us to know about you and your dance skills?
- Please provide the link to your video audition.
* For basic instructions to upload a video to YouTube, please click here
Arrival and opening ceremonies
Morning: Warm-up, Stretches and balance work
Afternoon: Intensive dance classes, Discuss spatial patterns
Morning: Choreography workshop, Intensive dance classes
Afternoon: JCC Cares, Discussion of business, “Mock” auditions
Morning: Intensive dance classes, Rehearsal of material for grand finale performance
Afternoon: First run through on stage
Morning: Run through with other specialties, Closing discussion
Afternoon: ArtsFest finale and performance
Evening: Closing party
Sample schedules are from past ArtsFests.