Working with the Artist in Residence, you will explore dance technique and enhance and stretch your skills as a dancer during ArtsFest. You will be on your feet with a professional choreographer as you expand your movement vocabulary, learn new pieces, grow your dramatic and technical range and perfect a piece that showcases your current talent as a dancer as it challenges you to learn something new. As the culmination of your work, you will perform a piece for the other specialty groups and your peers from ArtsFest and the JCC Maccabi Games.
Audition Requirements – Dance 2016
What are we looking for?
- A passion for dance and the enthusiasm to create and perform
- Desire to stretch yourself, take risks and work individually and collectively with one another to create and perform dance that is of and from you
- Familiarity with different dance forms and the eagerness to expand knowledge and skills
- An intermediate level in modern, jazz, ballet, or other style
In addition to answering the questions below, you must also submit a video sample of your work. Please record a video of yourself performing a solo set to music or in silence, maximum of 2 minutes, which can be original or other choreography, based on a theme or concept that demonstrates passion, technical ability, and creative spirit.
Once you have recorded the video, please upload it to a site such as YouTube or Vimeo and copy and paste the link below. For basic instructions to upload a video to YouTube, please click here: http://www.wikihow.com/Upload-a-Video-to-YouTube
Please answer the following questions in the text boxes provided on the application.
- Tell us briefly about your experiences in acting/improv at school, home, or in workshops/classes.
- What are your greatest strengths as a dancer and in what areas would you like to grow while at ArtsFest?
- Why do you want to participate in JCC Maccabi ArtsFest?
- Tell us about the piece you chose and why you chose it.
- Anything else you would like us to know about you and your dance skills?
- Please provide the link to your video audition.
* For basic instructions to upload a video to YouTube, please click here
2016 Artist in Residence
Jimmy Locust has shared his talents internationally, working with superstars Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul, Quincy Jones and Debbie Allen. He has appeared in music videos and films and has performed at the Academy Awards, Grammy Awards, and MTV Video Music Awards. Locust was one of the head choreographers for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the 1996 Olympics and was nominated for an American Choreography Award in 2001 for his work on Warner Brothers’ television show Nikki. Locust worked on the Justin Bieber Tour in 2010 and as choreographer for the CW Television Network’s The Next with hosts John Rich, Joe Jonas, Nelly and Gloria Estefan. Locally, he has choreographed for the Stamford Symphony’s Gala and Curtain Call Theatre as well as numerous high school productions. He also designed and wrote dance education curricula for Domus, Chester-Addison Community Center, Stamford Family YMCA, REACH Prep and Horizons. Locust has been a studio owner, master teacher and choreographer in the Fairfield County area for over ten years. He is Founder and Director of Harmony Nation, an anti-bullying educational program that performs at area schools. He also directs Locust Contemporary Dance Works, a youth pre-professional company with performances throughout the year culminating in a New York City concert. Recently, Locust was appointed by the renowned Boca Ballet Theatre in Florida to teach jazz dance as part of their summer residency program and was selected to adjudicate and teach at JCC Maccabi.