Working with the Artist in Residence, you will explore dance technique and enhance and stretch your skills as a dancer during ArtsFest. You will be on your feet with a professional choreographer as you expand your movement vocabulary, learn new pieces, grow your dramatic and technical range and perfect a piece that showcases your current talent as a dancer as it challenges you to learn something new. As the culmination of your work, you will perform a piece for the other specialty groups and your peers from ArtsFest and the JCC Maccabi Games.
Audition Requirements – Dance 2015
What are we looking for?
- A passion for dance and the enthusiasm to create and perform
- Desire to stretch yourself, take risks and work individually and collectively with one another to create and perform dance that is of and from you
- Familiarity with different dance forms and the eagerness to expand knowledge and skills
- An intermediate level in modern, jazz, ballet, or other style
In addition to answering the questions below, you must also submit a video sample of your work. Please record a video of yourself performing a solo set to music or in silence, maximum of 2 minutes, which can be original or other choreography, based on a theme or concept that demonstrates passion, technical ability, and creative spirit.
Once you have recorded the video, please upload it to a site such as YouTube or Vimeo and copy and paste the link below. For basic instructions to upload a video to YouTube, please click here: http://www.wikihow.com/Upload-a-Video-to-YouTube
Please answer the following questions in the text boxes provided on the application.
- Tell us briefly about your experiences in acting/improv at school, home, or in workshops/classes.
- What are your greatest strengths as a dancer and in what areas would you like to grow while at ArtsFest?
- Why do you want to participate in JCC Maccabi ArtsFest?
- Tell us about the piece you chose and why you chose it.
- Anything else you would like us to know about you and your dance skills?
- Please provide the link to your video audition.
* For basic instructions to upload a video to YouTube, please click here
2015 Artist in Residence
Eager to debut in his first JCC Maccabi ArtsFest, Ron Hutchins is the recipient of the 2014 Silver Palm Award for Outstanding Choreography in five productions throughout South Florida last season. He is the winner of two Broadway World Regional Awards (Miami 2014) for Best Director (Ain’t Misbehavin’) and Best Choreographer (42nd Street). He was also honored with a 2015 Carbonell Award for Best Choreography for 42nd Street and a Carbonell Award for Five Guys Named Moe, as well as being a nominee for The Will Rogers Follies and Chicago. The Joseph Jefferson Committee has also acknowledged his work for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum and The Arizoni for Disney’s Aida.
Ron has choreographed a multitude of musicals across the United States and served as guest artist for some of the country’s finest musical theatre programs. Ron just returned from Beijing where he served as choreographer for How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying for Peking University and Seven Ages Productions that is currently running throughout 2015.